Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

What is a Juice Fast Detox?

Well, according to my doctor, it's going a period of time with taking in nothing but fresh fruit and vegetable juice and water. Lots of water. I was told to drink between 32 and 64 oz of fresh juice as well as 8 glasses (64oz) of water. And you should not drink the whole glass at one time but rather sip it. 

Include avocado, beets, or sweet potatoes as often as possible as they will provide a good amount of protein. Apples are an easy add to any juice blend because the flavor can be covered up by others. You can either juice your own in your blender at home or buy the bottles from your grocery store's nutrition department. NO regular juices such as V8, Welche's or anything like that. Nothing with preservatives or sugar added. Also, HEB will juice your fruits and veggies for you... but you didn't hear that from me...

When using celery be sure to chop it up before you blend so the strings do not destroy your blender and use the leafy greens as well. I like a blend of fruits and vegetables instead of just one kind of juice because it provides more vitamins and nutrients. 

My doctor also said that you can take an iron pill if your are not getting enough from the fruits and vegetables you are eating drinking. Raspberries, strawberries, lemons, blackberies and grapes are good providers of iron. Bananas, pineapples, and sweet potatoes are also a good provider of B6. 

The hardest thing for me has been NO CAFFEINE. While doing the detox you are to have NO solid food, NO caffeine, NO sugars or artificial flavors, NO preservative. If you are wanting to do this to lose weight my doctor suggested the same intake of juice and water as well as a fruit for brunch and a vegetable in the mid afternoon, but doing it for a longer period of time (30-45 days).

In the first week it is normal to feel dizzy or light headed, have a headache, and have an overall feeling of tiredness. I was told that this should pass after the first few days. I personally felt that way on my first day. On my second day I drank juice with more B6 and B12 and didn't feel like I was going to pass out. I actually had more energy than I have had in a long time. I also haven't really felt hungry because I am sipping the juice throughout the day. But working in a grocery store I have to fight my normal habit of grabbing a fresh tortilla or roll or cookie all day. Today was much better. They say it takes 30 days to create a habit. I'm not sure how long it takes to break it. 

Later in the detox it is also normal to have bad breath, acne, or increased body odor as the toxins are released from your body. I'm really looking forward to this one. Deodorant. Toothpaste. Face wash. I should be fine. 

I was also told that it is possible to lose up to a pound a day. Which is why I am starting with only 14 days. I don't want to lose more than that. If I still feel healthy and check out okay with my doctor I will continue for another week. But the important thing to remember is that if you eat pizza and burgers and drink nothing but soda and Redbull all day, the detox will be pointless if you go back to the same habits. It is a lifestyle change. And if you already eat healthy it is a good way to cleanse your body of the added crap that is in everything today.

The days prior to fasting it is best to eliminate fried or fatty foods, caffeine, and sugars (cookies, cake, candy, etc.) 

And I think that is all the information I have... I don't know if this helps but this is the information my doc gave. I will continue to keep you updated with how it's going for me.

Click here for a list of vegetables and the vitamins and minerals they contain and here for a list of fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment