Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bombdiggity

Ok. First of all just let me say... if you use this word, I don't care how old you are, please stop. 

I'm not sure how this came to be, but there are too many elderly people attempting to use urban slang, and this seems to be the one I hear quite often. It was never a good word to begin with and will never be. It makes me shiver every time I hear it. 

My mother is one of those guilty of using it (along with saying that something is "da bomb") and I really just want to cry. I thought I taught her better. Do you remember the commercials with Smokey the Bear and "only YOU can prevent forest fires". Well, only YOU can prevent the use of urban slang from 50+ year old white women trying to be cool while going though 'the big change'. Seriously. This is not okay.

There is a woman at my work... we have named her Eviline... 

Eviline is a mid- to late-fifty's white woman. She has more than a few psychological problems, but today she was rather irritating. She told me today, on three occasions, that my cakes were "the bomb" or "bombdiggity". She also asked a fellow employ if she had seen the new Tyler Perry movie yet. Perhaps that is where she is learning this language. I'm not sure because I have failed to see any of those films.

I spent the entire rest of the day, along with my department head, attempting to speak in only urban slang just to prove to the rest of the employees how absolutely ridiculous it sounds... but we failed. We are obviously not very well educated in the matter. I know that I have several flaws in the way I speak... I'm from Texas. And I begin a lot of sentences with "so" or "okay". It's a bad habit I have picked up. But I recognize it and am willing to work on it. 

But my main concern is for the mothers and grandmothers out there, who are trying to appeal to their nieces or grandkids or children, and only end up making a fool of themselves. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm only trying to help. So PLEASE... help me. Help me put an end to this. If you or someone you know suffers from urban slang syndrome, get them the help they need. Approach them with love. Be caring and supportive. But let them know the dangers.

And remember... only YOU can prevent the use of urban slang from 50+ year old white women trying to be cool while going though 'the big change'.






1 comment: